Refocusing the Bright Unfocused Mind
Dr. Cindi’s ADHD coaching is an ongoing partnership that helps students learn the Executive Functioning skills necessary to increase their school and life success. They learn the skills necessary to lead to self-monitoring so they increase their independence as they transition through the grade levels.
Parents work in partnership with Dr. Cindi to communicate school expectations and acknowledge student success. If you, as a parent, are in a place where you know your child, in grades 3-6, is not performing in school and you know they are intellectually capable, Dr. Cindi can help! Intellectual ability is different from executive capacity. Bright children may have weak executive functioning. Many students with ADHD need help developing their “Executive Functioning Skills” in order to be successful in school including:
- Initiation – This is the ability to begin a task and to independently generate ideas, responses, or problem-solving in order to complete the task.
- Planning/Organizing – This is the ability to manage current and future-oriented task demands. (i.e. Completing homework on time and turning it.)
- Organization of Materials – This is the ability to create and manage order in work, play and storage. (i.e. Bringing books, papers, and assignments to and from school.)
- Self-Monitoring – This is the ability to monitor one’s own performance and to measure it against whatever standard is needed or expected. (i.e. Keeping track of changing daily routines – school and after-school activities)
Dr. Cindi Britton’s program is unique!
- She coaches one to one in person with children, ages 8-12, adolescents, and young adults on a weekly basis.
- Each week strategies are implemented that are tailored to the the current needs and concerns of the child, adolescent or young adult.
- She and the child or adolescent communicate with the parent weekly. The child/adolescent discusses their coaching goals at each weekly session, discuss ways to meet those goals and acknowledge their parent’s goals.
- She also communicates with the child’s teacher(s) to clearly understand their expectations particularly regarding homework and long term projects so that she can coach the child to be successful.
- Cindi Britton is also available to attend parent/teacher conferences and IEP or 504 meetings upon parent request.
The Coaching Process:
- Once you’ve chosen Dr. Cindi Britton, as a coach for your child, you will sign an agreement or contract. Research has shown the most effective agreement and coaching model is for three-months showing parent commitment and that they plan to stick with it.
- An “input session” will then be scheduled (between one and two hours) to get to know the client, parent and what areas are of concern they have. Background information is collected including school history, behavior difficulties, strengths and abilities.
- The first coaching session with the student will be schedule with date, time and location established. The sessions last usually between 30 to 40 minutes.
- Parent communication will be made after each child or adolescent session in person or if that is not possible via phone, text or email..
If you, as a parent, would like to be less frustrated and work in collaboration with an ADHD coach for your child, just contact Dr. Cindi Britton for more information or a consult. You and your child deserve the commitment to success that Dr. Cindi Britton provides.